“A hero is someone who has given his or her life to something bigger than oneself.” – Joseph Campbell.
Young children usually aren’t able to understand the reasons why we celebrate memorial day, but it is important to teach them the importance of this holiday. There are plenty of ways to help celebrate, educate, and experience Memorial Day with your children.
This holiday is extremely important to our nation, and we should be prepared to answer the question “What is Memorial Day?” with a proper answer. This holiday should build a sense of pride in both our nation and in ourselves. Below are a list of ways to celebrate Memorial Day with your children:
- Patriotic Activities for Kids – A list of simple activities that encourage kids to participate in Memorial Day and understand that this is a holiday that celebrates others, our nation, and ourselves. Picnics, National Moment of Remembrance, flag crafts, and books about the USA.
- Handprint Flag Craft – A patriotic way to get dirty, play with paint, and celebrate Memorial Day!
- Make a Soldier’s Day – Have your children create a card or picture to be sent overseas to a Solider.
- Memorial Day Crafts, Projects, and Worksheets – A large list of flags, wreaths, plant pots, necklaces, and more that can be done at home!
- Attend a Parade – Most towns have Memorial Day Parades that kids love. What a great way to show the community gathering together to celebrate an important day for our Nation. The Annual Linwood Memorial Day Parade is May 30th at 10:00am.
Do you have any Memorial Day activities or traditions in your family that you celebrate every year? If so, we would love to hear about it below in the comments!